[ez_youtube url=”http://youtu.be/BvQzLuMuPlk” width=”640″ height=”360″ autoplay=”0″ autohide=”2″ controls=”1″]
Hey what up Y’all? Are you ready to learn the basics of Text Message Marketing? Great! Let’s get at it then…
What is Text Message Marketing?
SMS (Short Message Service). Text Message Marketing is the ability to send “permission-based” text messages to a group of people who have opted-in to your mobile list. Dang it hurts to talk like that. Texts messages may be short but they sure do pack a punch. 160 characters is quite possibly the most powerful marketing tool available for ANY business today.
Did you know that literally trillions of text messages have been sent over the past few years? Consumers have adapted to this method of communication really quick and are extremely well versed in using it. Not only have they adapted to it, but they are somewhat “addicted” to it.
Some studies have even showed that most folks prefer text messages to talking on the phone. Saves time in most cases. I use a bunch of statistics in this article. All the statistics used in this article are referenced from http://MobiThinking.com unless I list another source.
The convenience and effectiveness of Text Marketing has made a very profitable impact on those businesses that have put it to work properly. It simply makes staying in touch with your target market easier. As business owners we know that that ultimately translates into more sales.
Text Message Marketing is very straightforward and to the point; it’s a simple way to send out your company’s latest marketing message to your list of mobile phone numbers.
Why Text Message Marketing?
- Over 2.1 BILLION Mobile Subscribers (29.5% of the World Population)
- Text messaging is the most-used mobile service – it is the King of Mobile Marketing
- Almost all mobile users send and receive text messages daily
- More than 4 billion texts are sent daily in the U.S alone
- More than one-half of U.S. mobile spending is LOCAL
- Consumers ALWAYS have their mobile devices with them
Benefits of Text Message Marketing
- Extremely targeted – Your text messaging campaigns are specifically targeted to your customers and prospects. There is simply no other form of marketing that can give you this type of instant access to buyers.
- Permission-based opt-in marketing – Text messaging is not spam because your list opted-in to receive your messages. As long as you make it easy for them opt-out, there is no problem. Your messages are welcome.
- Reliable, Instant Reach – Reach your entire target market at the push of a button. Most text messages are delivered, so your campaigns will reach almost all of your intended parties.
- High Open Rates – Most will read the message within minutes of receiving it. More than 98% of text messages are read within the first 4 minutes.
- Higher Redemption Rates – Text message offers are redeemed 10 times more often than traditional marketing offers. This alone leads to higher profits and revenue.
- Reduce Advertising Costs – Text messaging services are low cost; this, coupled with the high response rate is the perfect recipe to boost your ROI.
- Personalized Communication – Communicating with customers one-on-one makes them feel special, which leads to a long-term relationship.
- Builds Customer Loyalty – Loyal customers stick around for a long time. When people do business with those they like and trust, they become life-long customers.
- Can Go Viral – Your customers will forward your messages to their family and friends… and they will forward them to their family and friends… building your list even further and you didn’t have to do anything extra to get that exposure.
Ways to Build Your Mobile Marketing List
- Text-to-Join This method uses mobile keywords and short codes, what you do is have people text your keyword to your short code and they are added to your list. This is called an “opt-in,” which means they are giving you permission to send them text messages. I personally use a double opt-in so there are never any questions. Learn about double opt-ins here: http://tinyurl.com/dx6wwe9
- Works best when giving away something of value – Contests to win prizes, surveys, newsletter sign-ups, opinion polls, promotions, discounts
- Target Existing and Potential Customers – You want as many people as possible to join your list, so start with those who are already doing business with you. However, don’t forget to utilize the power of Mobile marketing to grab new customers as well. Text messaging campaigns are great for customer retention.
- Setup an Immediate Response When Someone Joins – It is good practice to have a message setup to go out immediately to welcome new people to your list. It’s also a good idea to give them a gift right away to give them that “instant gratification feeling” as well to reduce opt-outs. Some text campaigns also use autoreponders to initiate mobile email campaigns.
For example: Customer texts “good food” to 55555, they receive an automated text message back saying something like: “Thank you for joining the Hamburger Spot mobile list! Show this text to receive 30% off of your next combo meal”
- Advertise your mobile short codes on all of your marketing materials including:
- Inside Your Business Establishment
- On Your Company Vehicles
- Business Cards
- TV Commercials
- Anywhere else your target market will see!
- Website Sign-up – Add a mobile sign-up form to your website and make it visible to your website visitors. Ask them to join your mobile list in exchange for an incentive. You can also create stand-alone mobile squeeze pages just for this purpose. If you choose to use squeeze pages make certain that they are optimized for mobile use. I learned the hard way.
- Email Your List – Email your existing email list and tell them about your new mobile club. Again, ask them to join – most of them would love to because they will get your promotions right away instead of waiting until they check their email at home again.
- Social Media Sign-Up – Send a call to action to your social media followers asking them to join your mobile list. Most social platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter have list-building applications and widgets that you can use to build a list or you can send them right to your website’s mobile sign-up page.
- Birthday Club Rewards Program Sign-up – Put a form on your website to have people sign-up to your mobile Birthday Club Rewards Program. For instance, while customers are visiting your business, you can have them join while they’re there. After joining, they receive special offers before other customers, as well as receive something for FREE on their birthday. Everybody loves being remembered on their birthday.
- Manual Sign-up – Your staff can offer your customers the option of joining your mobile list and give them an incentive for doing so. You then enter their phone numbers into your website sign-up form manually, with their permission of course. Be sure to have your customers double opt-in.
There is so much to cover in the topic of SMS Text Marketing so I need to cut this post into 2 or 3 parts. Don’t worry, I’m already working on part 2. There are so many stats I hope this post wasn’t to boring because it does feel like you’re reading a “text” book. No pun intended…well maybe a little. 🙂 I really hope y’all got some value out of this.
Contact me if you have any questions or would like further information about how Text Message Marketing can help your business bring in sales. See you in Part 2.